Siena College Chamber Orchestra Dazzles in Fall Semester Concert

dr-konye

Morning everyone!

I hope all of your weeks are going well, especially those who are about to embark on the dreaded finals week! I myself am about to begin finals in less than a week and will admit, I have been pretty stressed out lately.  However, last week, I was able to put aside a couple of hours to attend the Siena College Fall Semester Concert and am SO glad that I did.  The concert featured the talents of the Siena College Chamber Orchestra and was conducted beautifully by Dr. Paul Konye, one of Siena’s own Creative Arts professors.  The Beaudoin Theater was packed with students, parents, friends, and faculty and I was very surprised to see that the orchestra itself was comprised of both Siena students and musicians from the community!

Although I do not personally listen to classical music, I was amazed by how difficult the performance pieces were.  The orchestra was not only comprised of string instruments, but of others as well and the blending of sounds was absolutely beautiful.  The concert featured a series of pieces, some that were lively and fun to listen to and others that were a bit slower, but I found each of them drawing in my attention more and more.  The opening piece even featured four middle school students from one of the charter schools in Albany, each of whom was extremely talented!

This event has been one of the most memorable I have been able to attend this semester, but not only for the incredible talent that I was able to watch.  I am a senior this year (YIKES) and up until now, I didn’t even know that the Creative Arts Department hosted a fall semester concert.  The Creative Arts Department has so much to offer to the rest of the Siena College Community, yet not that many people know about the events. This is why I am working for the School of Liberal Arts.  I want to give students on campus the opportunity to attend these events and to see what their fellow Saints have to offer.  I truly wish that I had known about events like these when I was a freshman because I absolutely would have attended more of them.  So, for those of you reading this that go to Siena, or even for those who may be attending another school, find out what events each department is hosting! They really are a blast to go to and you’ll end up learning a LOT along the way!

Were you able to go to the concert? Let me know in the comments what you thought!

Julia

Student Intern