Siena Alum

steven-s

Hi guys!

As a Liberal Arts major, I am always interested to hear what Siena alumni are doing nowadays, despite what their majors were here at Siena.  Yesterday, I had the opportunity to attend an event hosted by the School of Business, a talk that featured Steven Schwartz who graduated Siena with a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.  Steven is the president and founder of Global Service Consultants, which essentially specializes in closing the gap between the areas of insurance/risk management and information security.  He specifically talked about our own personal data and how cyber security has become a major issue to people all over the world.  With so much being online nowadays, it’s easy for various accounts to be hacked and Steven heavily emphasized that we must keep track of everything we do on the internet, specifically keeping track of our personal data.  I found that learning about the risks of the internet and the importance of cyber security to be extremely helpful.  As intern for the School of Liberal Arts, I work significantly with social media sites and I hope to do so in the future.  Social media sites can be hacked very easily if the proper precautions are not taken and I believe that Steven’s presentation will help me to prevent these problems from arising in my professional career.

I was very excited to see that the event was absolutely PACKED. Every seat in the Maloney Great Room was taken and students were sitting on the floor and were lined up against the walls, just to hear Steven give his presentation.  Although Steven is not much older than the rest of us (having graduated from Siena in 2011), I was surprised to see how accomplished he currently is.  He has had several excellent jobs since graduating Siena and now is the president of his own company.  Although I will not be going into the fields of accounting or cyber security, I really enjoyed having the opportunity to see where a Siena College education can take me.

Thanks for reading!

Julia

Student Intern